By Andrzej Gasiorek
A background of Modernist Literature offers a severe evaluation of modernism in England among the past due Nineties and the overdue Nineteen Thirties, targeting the writers, texts, and pursuits that have been particularly major within the improvement of modernism in the course of those years.
- A stimulating and coherent account of literary modernism in England which emphasizes the inventive achievements of specific figures and gives targeted readings of key works by way of the main major modernist authors whose paintings remodeled early twentieth-century English literary culture
- Provides in-depth dialogue of highbrow debates, the fabric stipulations of literary construction and dissemination, and the actual destinations during which writers lived and worked
- The first large-scale publication to supply a scientific review of modernism because it built in England from the overdue Nineties via to the overdue 1930s
Read Online or Download A History of Modernist Literature (Blackwell History of Literature) PDF
Best literary modernism criticism books
Interventions into Modernist Cultures is a comparative research of the cultural politics of modernist writing within the usa and Taiwan. Amie Elizabeth Parry argues that the 2 websites of modernism are associated by way of their illustration or suppression of histories of U. S. imperialist enlargement, chilly conflict neocolonial army presence, and financial effect in Asia.
Although the paintings of Irish writers has been paramount in traditional debts of literary modernism, eire itself basically not often occupies a significant place in money owed of modernism’s old trajectory. With an itinerary relocating now not easily between Dublin, Belfast, and London but in addition Paris, big apple, Addis Ababa, Rome, Berlin, Geneva, and the world’s radio receivers, eire and the matter of knowledge examines the pivotal mediations in which social wisdom used to be produced within the mid-twentieth century.
Italian Modernism was once written in keeping with the necessity for an historiographic and theoretical reconsideration of the techniques of Decadentismo and the avant-garde in the Italian serious culture. Focussing at the disagreement among those innovations and the wider inspiration of overseas modernism, the essays during this vital assortment search to appreciate this advanced section of literary and creative practices as a reaction to the epistemes of philosophical and clinical modernity on the finish of the 19th century and within the first 3 a long time of the 20 th.
Suzanne Churchill's well-researched and beautifully crafted examine is the 1st book-length therapy of Others, an enormous and overlooked little journal that served as a laboratory for modernist poetic experimentation. In discussions of influential poets resembling Mina Loy, Marianne Moore, and William Carlos Williams, whose careers Others helped release, Churchill counters the suggestion of Modernism as aesthetically self-isolating and socially disengaged.
- James Joyce and Catholicism: The Apostate's Wake (Historicizing Modernism)
- Baudelaire and Photography: Finding the Painter of Modern Life (Research Monographs in French Studies)
- Theorizing Modernisms: Essays in Critical Theory
- The Point Is To Change It: Poetry and Criticism in the Continuing Present (Modern & Contemporary Poetics)
- Dances with Darwin, 1875–1910: Vernacular Modernity in France
- Ezra Pound's Eriugena (Historicizing Modernism)
Additional resources for A History of Modernist Literature (Blackwell History of Literature)
A History of Modernist Literature (Blackwell History of Literature) by Andrzej Gasiorek